Define algae used in industries?
A complete inventory of the industrial importance of algae would make a very impressive account, with the list growing continuously.
- Agar-agar :- Gelidium of Rhodophyceae which is also called vegetative agar. It is also used in preparing shaving creams, cosmetic, shoe palis, many pills and ointments.
- Carragenin:- It is usually extracted from Chondrous crispus . It is also utilised in the textile leather, cosmetics and preparation of tooth paste, paints.
- Alginates:- Alginated are the salts of algineic acid found in the cell wall of phaeophyceae. It is used in rubber industries, paints, ice-cream and also in the preparation of flame-proof fabrics and plastic articles.
- Antibiotics:- Chlorellin, obtained from Chlorella was the first substance which produce ant-barcterial substances effective against a number of pathegenic bacteria.
- Medicines:- “Tse-ko-Tsoi” an antihelmitic drug is prepared from a red alga, Oigenia simplex in south China. Some algae are also used in the treatment of the disease of kidney, urinary bladder and lungs.