Q. State the main principles of cell theories (Cell Doctrine).
Ans. Schleiden, a German botanist and Schwann a German Zoologist (1838) Proposed a hypothesis, known as ‘Cell Theory’. The cell theory states that:
- Living beings are made up of cells and their product.
- Cells are the structural and functional units in the body of a living organism.
- Cells arise from pre existing cells (Omnis cellula a cellula).
- All organisms start their life from a single cell.
- Multiplication of the cells and their growth leads to the growth of an organism.