Define nutritional and medicinal value of Mushroom.
- They have remarkable taste & flavour.
- They are nutritious.
- They have a high protein content (19-35%) of good quality.
- Mushroom’s protein contains all 9 essential Amino Acid for human diets. Mushroom have a proportion of unsaturated Fatty Acid, good source of several vitamins, fibres & minerals low in calories, sodium, fat & cholesterol.
- A few of the edible varieties are important in modern medicine because of their anti-bacterial & anti-fungal properties while some of the species shows anti tumor & anticholesterolemic (reducing cholesterol level in the blood)
- China is the world’s largest edible Mushroom producers. A well known medicinal mashroom is Reishi
- Lentinus edodes – which shows anti AIDS property are also being carried out.
- Mashroom are also source of some minerals including selenium, potassium & phosphorous.